10/18/2014

If a student is making C's - is that student successful?

This is an interesting concept -- what makes a student successful? Some students seem to be leaders and others seem quite ordinary. Do all students in your class have to make A's for YOU to feel successful? 

I guess the questions are: What's wrong with ordinary? Is the student unhappy with being ordinary? Motivation comes from the student. If a student is unhappy with academic performance, then it's my job to find out why and provide individualized instruction and guidance. If a student is happy enough with being ordinary (whether it's just in a particular course or overall across the board) then so be it. For example, I was perfectly happy to be "less than ordinary" in math, chemistry, and physics classes :-) But I was seriously unhappy with anything less than complete perfection in "soft sciences" and writing. The point is that students decide what is ordinary and whether they will accept that or not. I can't make the decision for them. But if they need or want help to excel past ordinary -- I'm already on it every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment